NBS Logo Established 1937
 
NORTHERN BUDGERIGAR SOCIETY
Site for people interested in budgerigars
 
 
The Budgerigar Society
 
 
NBS Open Show 2021
 
 
Agenda 2020
 
 
Rules and Conditions for Open show
 
 
2020 Council Members & Council Dates
 
 
S&RV Gold Show 2020
 
 
Annual Open Show 2020
 
 
Northern Points Competition 2019
 
 
2019 Area Show Results
Show Results
 
 
Farewell to Harry Hockaday
 
 
Roy Cooke Memorial Specialist & Rares Show 2019
 
 
2019 Guest Speakers
 
 
2019 NBS Open Day Sunday 5th May
 
 
Guest Speakers 2019 part 2
 
 
Council Minutes 2019
 
 
The John Herring Memorial Golden Bird Award
Golden Bird
 
 
E-MAILS OF NBS MEMBERS
 
 
BS Main Panel Judges in NBS Area
Local Judges
 
 
Past Presidents of the Northern Budgerigar Society
 
 
NBS Panel
Panel of members of NBS
 
 
Northern BS Adverts 2019
Members
 
 
NBS Hall Of Fame (40 years service) & Honorary Life Members (30 years service)
 
 
Yesteryear + Books
Old photos
 
 
Patronage Rules
 
 
NBS Constitution
 
 
DISCOUNTED SEED & SUPPLEMENTS FOR NBS MEMBERS
Garden Feathers. Boldon Colliery,Co.Durham
 
 
Honorariums
 
 
Links
Other budgie sites
 
 
Subs 2020
 
 
Council meetings 2021
 
 
Mentors for Novices
 
 
Council meetings 2022
 
 

Council meetings 2022




  N.B.S. COUNCIL MEETING 17th JANUARY 2022.
Present.        B.Batey, D.Cairns, K.Batey, D.Harrison, P.Redford, I.Cooper, G.Clark, K.Allison.                
Apologies.     K.Kime, D.Rowell, P.Watts, B.Grainger, B.Ross, J.Lund, A.Lovack.
Previous minutes.  
Minutes of a Council meeting held on the 15th November 2021, were circulated.
Matters Arising. 
There were no matters arising from the minutes. 
 
CORRESPONDENCE.
From the B.S. asking for names of members who would stand as mentors within the fancy.
This would be brought up at the A.G.M.
NEW MEMBERS. 
C & E. Vasey.
Council agreed to this application.
                                                                    
OPEN-SHOW-2022                                                                                                                                                             It was agreed that we hold an Open Show on week no. 37, September 2022. (18.9.22)
After discussion the following names were suggested for judges.
Tuplin, P.Reaney, K.Brockwell, plus one local judge on standby.
A decision as to whether an additional judge would be needed would be taken once the final entry numbers were known.
Patronages.
D.Harrison gave an update on patronages applied for for 2022.
SOCIAL SECRETARY.
A nomination for the position of Social Secretary was still needed.
This would be raised at the A.G.M.
A.G.M. BUSINESS.
There were two nominations for members achieving H.L.M.
G.Carr, P.Watts.
These members would be asked to attend the A.G.M, if possible.
There was no nomination for the Long Service award.
Council had one nomination to present to the A.G.M. for the Golden Bird award.
SP and RARE SHOW                                                          D.Herring and D.Rowell to judge this show. (T.B.C)
Herring had advised that he could not confirm to do this at present, but would be happy to stay as a reserve.
Other nomninations A.Richards and J.Bowey.
(Since this meeting J.Bowey and D.Herring have turned down the invitation 
A.Richards has been asked and has accepted)                  
WEB-SITE/PUB;ICATION                                                                                                                                                                   
A volunteer was still needed to update/monitor the web-site.
Batey advised that anyone wishing to publish any information should send it to B.Ross.
FACEBOOK.                                                                                                                                                                                         In discussion, there was general concern that Facebook was not representitive of the needs of the Society.                                                                                                                                  Again, Kyle Kime would be offered help to manage this.                                                                                                       Gayle again offered to assist as she is a regular user of facebook.
B.Batey agreed to contact K.Kime to discuss.
                                                                                                                                                           B.S. DISCIPLINARY PANEL.                                                                                                                      Members may be aware that the B.S. were changing how disciplinary panels would be formed, and had asked the N.B.S. for the names of 2 representitives.                                         D.Rowell and D.Cairns had volunteered for this.
FINANCE/SECRETARIES REPORT.
    Flex. Account.      8347.29.
    Cash.               40.12.
Total.            £8387.41.
K.Batey advised that the finances remained good and that Council would need to consider how we could use this to the benefit of the members. 
A draft copy of the 2021 balance sheet was circulated for discussion.
SPEAKERS. 
Discussion took place as to the programme for 2022.
Feb. A.G.M. and P.Redford.  March. S.Holland. (T.B.C)  April. Young bird show.  May. T.B.C.
June. Open day, subject to date change, possible P.Reaney and D.Woan.  July, Sp and Rare Show.
August. T.B.C.  September. Open Show 18th.  October. Auction.  November. J.Bird. (T.B.C)
Dec. G.&J Al Nasser.
These would be confirmed once arranged. (Reserves J.Muir, Scotland)
Members would be asked at the A.G.M. to nominate possible speakers. 
                                                                                                                                                                                              
OPEN DAY 2022.
It was agreed that the Open Day would be held on one of the regular Sunday meeting dates.
Two speakers would be invited for a whole day event.
YEARBOOK.
Batey suggested, that, as there was no Yearbook editor, a series of newsletters could be planned.
P.Redford volunteered to produce the newsletters. 
These would help to promote local Societies and could be placed on facebook and the web-site.
Hard copies e-mails to be available to anyone requesting them.   There was no other business raised.

                                                                                                                                                            

 

     N.B.S. COUNCIL MEETING 21st FEBRUARY 2022.
Present.        B.Batey, D.Cairns, K.Batey, D.Harrison, P.Redford, K.Allison.                
Apologies.     K.Kime, D.Rowell, I.Cooper, B.Grainger, J.Lund, P.Watts, G.Clark.
Previous minutes.  
Minutes of a Council meeting held on the 17th January, were circulated.
Matters Arising. 
There were no matters arising from the minutes. 
 
Correspondence.                                                        
None received.
New Members. 
No new members.
It was asked if the B.S. notify new members of details for their local Area Society.
We were to contact the B.S. for an answer.
                                                                    
OPEN-SHOW-2022                                                                                                                                                             It was agreed that we hold an Open Show on week no. 37, September 2022. (18.9.22)
After discussion the following names were suggested for judges.
Tuplin, P.Reaney, K.Brockwell, plus one local judge on standby.
A decision as to whether an additional judge would be needed would be taken once the final entry numbers were known.
After discussion it was agreed that ring scheme prize money for 2022 would be;
£15, £10, £5, £3. (£33 per section)
Patronages.
Harrison gave an update on patronages applied for for 2022.
Social Secretary.
This was raised at the A.G.M, with there being no volunteer.
SP and Rare Show.                                                                    A.Richards and D.Rowell to judge this show. (T.B.C)
                
Website/Publication.                                                                                                                                                                  
A volunteer was still needed to update/monitor the web-site.
B.Batey advised that anyone wishing to publish any information should send it to B.Ross.
Facebook.                                                                                                                                                                                         In discussion, there was general concern that Facebook was not representitive of the needs of the Society.                                                                                                                                  Again, Kyle Kime would be offered help to manage this.                                                                                                       Gayle again offered to assist as she is a regular user of facebook.                                      B.Batey agreed to contact K.Kime to discuss.                                                                                                                                                           
Finance/Secretarial Report.
    Flex. Account.      7778.29.
    Cash.               58.57.
Total.            £7836.86.
Speakers. 
Discussion took place as to the programme for 2022.
Feb. A.G.M. and P.Redford.  March. A.Richards.  April. Young bird show.  May. T.B.C.
June. Open day, subject to date change, possible P.Reaney and D.Woan.  July, Sp and Rare Show.
August. Inter club show.  September. T.B.C. Open Show 18th.  October. Auction.  November. J.Bird. (T.B.C)
Dec. G.&J Al Nasser.
These would be confirmed once arranged. (Reserves J.Muir, Scotland)
Members would be asked at the A.G.M. to nominate possible speakers. 
                                                                                                                                                                                              
Open Day 2022.
It was agreed that the Extended/ Day meeting would be held on one of the regular Sunday meeting dates.
Two speakers would be invited for a whole day event.
To avoid any clashes with the Royal Platinum Jubilee, a new date of the 12th June 2022 was agreed.
P. Reaney was to be invited with and/or D.Woan.
Other suggested speakers were S.Wildes and D.Sturzaker.
A starting time was suggested of 1-00pm with a 4.pm finish.
News letters.
P.Redford circulated copies of the first newsletter/booklet.
These would be handed out to members, new members listed in the B.S. Budgerigar for the Area, and posted if requested.
They would be printed with a glossy cover at a cost of £159.
Insurance.
Discussion took place on the viability of having insurance to cover all shows.
The renewal cost was not now considered realistic.
P.Redford was to enquire as to how Gatesdead B.S. got in touch with the B.S./N.C.A. on insurance cover.
A.O.B.
D.Cairns - raised the issue of which show would receive Gold B.S. Patronage for 2023.
As this had previously been decided as the N.E.N, then this decision would stand.
B.Batey - advising that we write to Carlisle B.S. asking if they would like the N.B.S. to once again host a meeting in their Area.
Previous meetings had been reasonably well attended but we were unsure as to how the hobby stood at this point in time in the Carlisle Area.
B.Batey - H.L.M. award for P.Watts to be presented at March meeting.
K.Batey - advising that the new show cages ordered would be forwarded to us via A.Richards.
B.Batey would then collect from A.Richards.
It was still to be decided on the best way of using the cages re raffles, show prizes etc.
                                                                                                                                                           NEXT COUNCIL MEETING  -  MONDAY 21st MARCH 2022.











  N.B.S. COUNCIL MEETING 21st MARCH 2022.
Present.        B.Batey, D.Cairns, K.Batey, D.Harrison, P.Redford, K.Allison.                
Apologies.     K.Kime, D.Rowell, I.Cooper, B.Grainger, J.Lund, P.Watts, G.Clark.
Previous minutes.  
Minutes of a Council meeting held on the 21st February, were circulated.
Matters Arising.                                                                          
Omitted from minutes Junior Ring Prize money £5 and £2.
Correspondence.                                                        
 From the B.S. asking for the Societies views on holding a judges training day.
   It was suggested that this could be combined with another Area Society.
   After discussion the N.B.S. was to contact the S.B.S. to obtain their views.
   There was some concern that with a differing number of judges taking part, that there would be inconsistency across the meetings.
New Members. 
No new members.
It had been asked if the B.S. notify new members of details for their local Area Society.
The reply was that they do not.
We are therefore going to contact those members who have joined the B.S. from within our Area.
Possibly going back over the last 5 issues of The Budgerigar for their details.
                               
OPEN-SHOW-2022                                                                                                                                                             It was agreed that we hold an Open Show on week no. 37, September 2022. (18.9.22)
After discussion the following names were suggested for judges.
Tuplin, P.Reaney, K.Brockwell, plus one local judge on standby.
A decision as to whether an additional judge would be needed would be taken once the final entry numbers were known.
After discussion it was agreed that ring scheme prize money for 2022 would be;
£15, £10, £5, £3. (£33 per section) Juniors £5 and £2.
Patronages.
Harrison gave an update on patronages applied for for 2022.
The show patronages would be subject to discussion at the April Council meeting.
Social Secretary.
This was raised at the A.G.M, with there being no volunteer.
SP and Rare Show.                                                                    A.Richards and D.Rowell to judge this show. (T.B.C)
This show would be the subject of discussion at the April meeting.
                
Website/Publication.                                                                                                                                                                  
A volunteer was still needed to update/monitor the web-site.
B.Batey advised that anyone wishing to publish any information should send it to B.Ross.
Facebook.                                                                                                                                                                                         In discussion, there was general concern that Facebook was not representitive of the needs of the Society.                                                                                                                                  Again, Kyle Kime would be offered help to manage this.                                                                                                       Gayle again offered to assist as she is a regular user of facebook.                                      B.Batey agreed to contact K.Kime to discuss.                                                                                                                                                           
Finance/Secretarial Report.
    Flex. Account.      7778.29.
    Cash.               54.07.
Total.            £7832.36.
Speakers. 
Discussion took place as to the programme for 2022.
Feb. A.G.M. and P.Redford.  March. A.Richards.  April. Young bird show.  May. T.B.C.
June. Open day, subject to date change, possible P.Reaney and D.Woan.  July, Sp and Rare Show.
August. Inter club show.  September. T.B.C. Open Show 18th.  October. Auction.  November. J.Bird. (T.B.C)
Dec. G.&J Al Nasser.
These would be confirmed once arranged. (Reserves J.Muir, Scotland)
Due to Bird Flu restrictions by DEFRA, it would not be possible to hold the Young Bird show in April.
This could be rescheduled for May or June DEFRA restrictions permitting.
                                                                                                                                                                                              
Open Day 2022.
It was agreed that the Extended/ Day meeting would be held on one of the regular Sunday meeting dates.
Two speakers would be invited for a whole day event.
To avoid any clashes with the Royal Platinum Jubilee, a new date of the 12th June 2022 was agreed.
P. Reaney was to be invited but due to family issues it would not be appropriate to do so.
Other suggested speakers were S.Wildes, G.Bowley.
Alternatively the President Elect of the B.S, C.Snell, could be invited, with P.Reaney to be re-invited for 2023.
A starting time was suggested of 1-00pm with a 4.pm finish.
News letters.
P.Redford circulated copies of the first newsletter/booklet.
These would be handed out to members, new members listed in the B.S. Budgerigar for the Area, and posted if requested.
They would be printed with a glossy cover at a cost of £159.
Insurance.
Discussion took place on the viability of having insurance to cover all shows.
The renewal cost was not now considered realistic.
Redford had contacted Gateshead B.S. who had obtained their own cover.
We need to reconsider what cover we need to purchase.
A.O.B.
B.Batey - brought a new Show Cage for inspection.
Due to their cost we needed to consider how these would be used.
Batey - suggesting that at the Sunday meetings any business should be discussed at the start if the meeting.
This was because those attending tended to leave the meeting when the speaker was finished and did not seem interested in any updates.
Batey - confirming that the N.B.S had proposed two judges for the B.S. 2023 Club Show.
J.Bowey and D,Herring.
                                                                                                                                                           NEXT COUNCIL MEETING  -  MONDAY 18th APRIL 2022.
   
   




Minutes of Council meeting 18th April 2022

Present. B.Batey, K.Batey, P.Redford, K.Allison, G.Clark.
Apologies. D.Cairns.
Previous minutes.
Minutes of the March meeting had been circulated.
Matters Arising.
There were no matters arising from the minutes.
Correspondence.
  1. From P.Reaney advising that due to family commitments he had to withdraw as a judge for the Open Show.

  2. The secretary was asked to write to the B.S. for further information about the proposed joint membership scheme.

  3. C.Snell has accepted the invitation to attend the June Open Day meeting.

New Members.
No new members.
OPEN-SHOW-2022 It was agreed that we hold an Open Show on week no. 37, September 2022. (18.9.22)
After discussion the following names were suggested for judges.
Tuplin, K.Brockwell, plus one local judge on standby.
A decision as to whether an additional judge would be needed would be taken once the final entry numbers were known.
After discussion it was agreed that ring scheme prize money for 2022 would be;
£15, £10, £5, £3. (£33 per section) Juniors £5 and £2.
Patronages.
No update.
Social Secretary.
This was raised at the A.G.M, with there being no volunteer.
SP and Rare Show. A.Richards and D.Rowell to judge this show. (T.B.C)
D.Harrison was to be asked to confirm changes to the classification for the show.
Entry fees remain at 60p. per bird, maximum of £6.00.
Prize money of £5. per cc. N.B.S. members only.
No best in show.
Rosette for each Best of Colour.
Website/Publication.
A volunteer was still needed to update/monitor the web-site.
B.Batey advised that anyone wishing to publish any information should send it to B.Ross.
Facebook. In discussion, there was general concern that Facebook was not representitive of the needs of the Society. Again, Kyle Kime would be offered help to manage this. Gayle again offered to assist as she is a regular user of facebook. B.Batey agreed to contact K.Kime to discuss.
Finance/Secretarial Report.
Flex. Account. 7664.29.
Cash. 188.47.
Total. £7852.76.
Speakers.
Discussion took place as to the programme for 2022.
July, Sp and Rare Show.
August. Table show 2022 rung birds. September. T.B.C. Open Show 18th. October. Auction. November. J.Bird. (T.B.C)
Dec. G.&J Al Nasser.
These would be confirmed once arranged. (Reserves J.Muir, Scotland)
August Meeting 2022.
This would be a table show for 2022 B.S. owner rung birds.
No limit on entries.
Number of sections to be decided on day depending on number of entries.
Discussion took place on how we could attract/increase attendance at meetings.
It was agreed that as from 1st May 2022, a new incentive to be introduced.
Any member attending at least 4 of the remaining Open Meetings for 2022 would have free membership for 2023.
It is planned to have the N.B.S. stand at the B.S. Club Show in September.
A.O.B.
There was no further business.
NEXT COUNCIL MEETING - MONDAY 20th June. 2022.

----------------------------------------------------------------


Minutes of the meeting held on the 21st   June 2022.


 
Present.  B.Batey, K.Batey, D.Rowell, D.Cairns, I.Cooper, K.Allison, D.Harrison, P.Redford.
Apologies.  G.Clark, J.Lund.
Previous minutes.
These had been circulated and were accepted as a true record.
 
Matters arising from minutes.
None.
 
Correspondence.
B.S.  A reply needed to be sent to B.S. re the joint membership proposal.
(After discussion it was agreed the we support this proposal)
C.S.  Asking if we were to have our stand at the 2022 Club Show.
(It was agreed that we would have the stand at the Club Show)
 
Finance/Secretaries report.
K.Batey reported;
Accounts.   7672.29.
C.I.H.             286.79.
Total.          7959.08.
Accounts accepted.
 
New members.
S.Smith,  Darlington.
 
Speakers 2022.
It was confirmed that J.Prothero would be the speaker at the September meeting.
August meeting – knockout competition, 2022 birds.
 
The prize would be a renovated show cage.
 
Social Secretary report – nothing further to report.
 
Show Secretary report.
Open Show. - 
Judging to start at 9.15 prompt.
Entries accepted 8.00 to 9.00.
(It may be possible to erect staging on night before Show)
S.Devaney to be contacted to replace P.Reaney as judge.
Other names – J.Bowey, P.Smith.
Prize money agreed;
Y.B sections, £20, £10, £8, £6. (Prize money to 4th place only)
Junior.  £3, £2, £1.
A/A  sections,  £10, £6, £4.
It was agreed that the Facebook should be used to promote all society shows for 2022.
 
Sp and Rare Show.
Help would be needed on show day.
Caution needed to be kept on bird flu situation.
Show manager to be given catalogue.
 
Patronage Secretary report.
D.Harrison  gave a patronage report/update.
 
Publicity/Facebook.
Facebook continues to be monitored until a volunteer comes forward.
 
A.O.B.
K.Batey – reported that there had been no interest shown in holding a meeting in the West of our area.
K.Batey – advising that cage renovations continue.
October meeting – discussion deferred until next meeting.
 
NEXT MEETING MONDAY 15th  AUGUST 2022.

Text-only version of this page  |  Edit this page  |  Manage website  |  Website design: 2-minute-website.com