NBS Logo Established 1937
 
NORTHERN BUDGERIGAR SOCIETY
Site for people interested in budgerigars
 
 
Northern Budgerigar Society Auction 3rd November 2019
 
 
Northern Points Competition 2019
 
 
2019 Area Show Results
Show Results
 
 
Farewell to Harry Hockaday
 
 
Roy Cooke Memorial Specialist & Rares Show 2019
 
 
2019 Guest Speakers
 
 
2019 NBS Open Day Sunday 5th May
 
 
Guest Speakers 2019 part 2
 
 
Council Minutes 2019
 
 
2019 Council Members & Council Dates
 
 
2018 NBS Area Show Sunday 16th September
 
 
2018 NBS Auction Sunday 4th November
 
 
2018 Guest Speakers
 
 
2018 Guest Speakers part 2
 
 
2018 NBS Sunday Meetings
 
 
2018 Council/Committee Minutes
 
 
2018 AGM Minutes
 
 
The John Herring Memorial Golden Bird Award
Golden Bird
 
 
E-MAILS OF NBS MEMBERS
 
 
BS Main Panel Judges in NBS Area
Local Judges
 
 
Past Presidents of the Northern Budgerigar Society
 
 
NBS Panel
Panel of members of NBS
 
 
Northern BS Adverts 2019
Members
 
 
NBS Hall Of Fame (40 years service) & Honorary Life Members (30 years service)
 
 
Yesteryear + Books
Old photos
 
 
NBS Constitution
 
 
Patronage Rules
 
 
DISCOUNTED SEED & SUPPLEMENTS FOR NBS MEMBERS
Garden Feathers. Boldon Colliery,Co.Durham
 
 
Honorariums
 
 
Links
Other budgie sites
 
 

2018 Council/Committee Minutes

                                                    NBS COUNCIL MEETING 15th JANUARY 2018.

Present:  A.Richards, R.Cooke, C.Wright, D.Cairns, K.Featherstone, J.Smith, R.Rogerson, K.Kime, P.Watts.         

Apologies. G.Clark, B.Batey,

                    

                                                                                                                                  These had been circulated and were accepted as a true record.                                                                                      

(Accepted as read.)

 

Matters arising from minutes

The background to the claim by K.Amos was discussed.

D.Cairns had been asked to consider the claim and presented his views to the meeting.

After further discussion it was agreed that the secretary, R.Cooke, was to reply to K.Amos advising him that a donation would be made, as a goodwill gesture, towards the repair/s to his car.

 

Correspondence.

B.S. - Ref the nomination of N.B.S. judges for future B.S. Shows.

2019 - J and R. Rogerson.  Club Show.

A future show/date would be considered for D.Cairns. 

                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Publicity Report. 

Everything was up to date as far as possible.

  A Richards advised that he was not able to continue doing this job and a volunteer was urgently needed.

 

Speakers for 2018.

These were now confirmed and lists had/were being circulated for the members.

 

Open Show 2018.

The date for the Show was confirmed as Sunday 16th September 2018.

After long discussions A.Richards advised Council that he would be able to secure the services of a Show Secretary from outside the N.B.S. area. (D.Cosby)

It was preferred that an N.B.S. member volunteer to be Show Secretary.

ALL efforts would be made to ask N.B.S. members to come forward. Should this not happen, then the current position would be considered and presented to the members at the A.G.M. in February, where the members present will have to decide what they would like to see happen.

Judges engaged for the Open Show were;

R.Ellis, D.Pringle, S.Adams (Ireland), G.Wilson.

  A Richards asked that balance sheets for both 2017 shows be prepared and presented to Council for discussion prior to the A.G.M.

  A Richards confirmed that after discussions with Garden Feathers, a donation of £60 had been received.

They would not be committing any further monetary donations to the Society but would be donating an annual award.

The final decision on what this would be for was yet to be confirmed.

 

Sp and Rare Show 2018.

The date for the Show was confirmed as Sunday 8th July 2018.

After discussion it was agreed that the show would go ahead.

 A Richards advised that, although the decision on a show secretary was to be presented to the A.G.M, he did have a nomination, should one not be volunteered from the membership.

D.Cairns advised that he had received a telephone call on a possible volunteer to be show secretary and would follow this up over the next couple of days.

He would keep the Chairman advised of the outcome of these discussions.

D.Cairns advised that we should consider including classes for other colours to increase entry/entry fees.

 

Secretaries Report:

New Members.

J.Welsh. - Newcastle. Senior member.

R.Hodgson. - senior member.

J.Donnelly- Full member.                                                                                                                        

All members accepted.

 

Finance:  R.Cooke reported;

 Flex. Account.        6104.71.

 Classic Account.      286.42.

 Cash in hand.           286.35.

  TOTAL.                £ 6677.48.

 

OPEN DAY 2018.   (3rd 2018 June)

 

Invitations had been sent to A.Marchant and F.Blocke and both had accepted.  

Arrangements/accommodation as necessary had been booked.                                                                                   

After discussion it was agreed that the venue would be the Ravensdean Lodge Hotel, Gateshead.

 A Richards advised that, in order to secure a venue, provisional bookings should be made with the Ravensdean Lodge Hotel, for 2019 and 2020.

This was accepted.

 

Bus Trip/Aviary visit’s 2018.

The date for this would be June 17th June 2018.

Tickets for this were now available @ £15.

The visits were to C.Snell and C.Hickman.

The approx. cost of a 32 seat bus would be £600.

 

Ferryhill Event. 2018.

This event would be held on Thursday 5th July 2018.

Connor Hickman, Thetford Cambridge, would be giving a PowerPoint presentation.

 

Year Book. 2018.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Full page £10, half page £5.

This covered the advertising in the Year Book and on the website.

It was necessary for a volunteer to come forward to compile the 2018 Year Book.

G.Clark agreed to sell/take advert monies.

All adverts to be paid for before being accepted.

It was agreed to print 175 year books.

All adverts placed needed to be accurately compiled and co-ordinated before being given to G.Clark.

 

Web-site Report.

A.Richards had previously advised that if it was necessary a volunteer needed to be found as he could not continue with this role as well as the other duties he undertook.

 

Facebook.

The facebook site continues to be well supported.

After discussion it was agreed that we should be making more use of facebook for the benefit of the members and the N.B.S.

During discussion it was reported that there were a number of foreign fanciers applying to join.

It was agreed that we needed to apply a vetting process before accepting any new members.

It was confirmed that no sales birds were allowed on the site other than for N.B.S. events.

 

Patronage Report.

 A Richards confirmed that he had been in touch with J.Smith, who had agreed to continue as Patronage Secretary for 2018.

Patronage applications and receipts will be reported on in due course.

 

B.S.Spring Event 2018.

A resume was given of the progress to date.

The arrangements were ongoing and reports/updates would be provided to Council to confirm the changes.

 A  Lovack had kindly offered to provide the floor coverings for the Show Hall/Room.

A list of helpers had now been confirmed for the various jobs to be covered.

Free wrist bands would be given to volunteers. All other visitors needed to pay £5 for a wristband should they wish to attend the lectures and show on the Saturday.

 A Richards asked for Council approval to donate £250 from the Social Fund towards providing a meal/snacks/drink for the nominated helpers. This was agreed.

The B.S. had been asked to make a contribution towards this and we would be advised in due course.

We needed to have an N.B.S. stand at the event to offer assistance to visitors, including the taking of entry monies to the event, commencing at approx. 8.30am.

The N.B.S would hold a raffle during the event for fund raising.

Members were asked to assist in contacting as many sponsors as possible.

Smaller numbers of quality prizes were preferred.

There would be a Show at the event as well as fanciers trade stands for bird sales.

Members were asked to support the sales by donating birds for sale.

Members from outside the N.B.S. would also be asked to have sales birds.

Monies received from sales would go direct to the fanciers.

The N.B.S would be awarding five trophies for the show, as well as rosettes.

The next B.S. /N.B.S.  Meeting would be April 2018.

 

Nominations Meeting.

After discussion it was agreed that Council would be presenting two nominations for the Golden Bird Award in 2018.

Other nominations arising from the nominations meeting would be presented to the A.G.M.

 AO.B.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            1.  A.Richards advised that he had taken a large wooden “budgie” display from C.Bowman, and asked what Council would like to do with it.

 After discussion it was decided that this would be auctioned at the start of the A.G.M meeting.

NEXT COUNCIL MEETING MONDAY 19th FEBRUARY 2018.

                  NBS COUNCIL MEETING 19th FEBRUARY 2018.

Present:  A.Richards, R.Cooke, C.Wright, D.Cairns, K.Featherstone, J.Smith, R.Rogerson, K.Kime, P.Watts.         

 B.Ross, A.Lovack, B.Close.

Apologies, G.Clark, B.Batey.

 

A.Richards welcomed the New Council for 2018.

                 

Previous Minutes:                                                                                                                                                                                                             These had been circulated and were accepted as a true record.                                                                                      

 

Matters arising from minutes

It was confirmed that the claim by K.Amos had now been resolved.

 

Correspondence.

  From R.Allen asking for confirmation details for attending as speaker.

  Letter from G.Al.Nasser re thanks for asking him to attend the December 2017 meeting. He also confirmed that he was donating his expenses towards the Area Show. £5 for each Young Bird in section, plus £5 for Best of Colour.

 

Publicity Report. 

Everything was up to date as far as possible.

At the A.G.M. B.Ross had volunteered to be Publicity Secretary and this was agreed.

 

Speakers for 2019.

After discussion it was agreed that we should include meetings for which birds could be included.

(April and October meetings)

Trophies would be awarded for these events.

This meant that we only needed to find 6 speakers to complete the list.

A list of names was compiled, from which the Secretary would invite speakers.

(S.Wildes, H.Hockaday, P.McHale, I & S. Ainley, J.Newall, T.Haywood, Gillans.)

C.Bowman and N.Phillips were suggested for the Nominations meeting, January, 2019.

There was some concern, as the speaker for September, Libby Harrison, was no longer in post with Retford Laboratories.

A.Lovack was to make enquiries as to her current position.

 

Open Show 2018.

The date for the Show was confirmed as Sunday 16th September 2018.

J.Cosby was confirmed as Show Secretary.

Discussion took place on the schedule for progress and for forwarding to J.Cosby.

Judges engaged for the Open Show were;

R.Ellis, D.Pringle, S.Adams (Ireland), G.Wilson.

It was still to be confirmed what award Garden Feathers would be donating for the show.

 

Sp and Rare Show 2018.

The date for the Show was confirmed as Sunday 8th July 2018.

At the recent A.G.M. B.Close had volunteered to be Show Secretary, assisted by N.Phillips, and this was accepted.

Again the details for the schedules were discussed and changes amended where necessary.

There would be no Best in Show Award in 2018.

The £10 Country Wide seed /voucher would be presented to the fancier benching the most number of birds.

The judges would be R.Simpson and J.Cooke.

 

Secretaries Report:

New Members.

There were no new members.

 

Finance:

R.Cooke reported;

                                                                                                                                                                           

 Flex. Account.        2899.50.

Social Fund.             3205.71.

 Classic Account.      286.42.

 Cash in hand.           209.82..

  TOTAL.                £ 6601.45.

                                                                                                                                                                                         

OPEN DAY 2018.   (3rd 2018 June)

Invitations had been sent to A.Marchant and F.Blocke and both had accepted.  

Arrangements/accommodation as necessary had been booked.                                                                                   

After discussion it was agreed that the venue would be the Ravensdean Lodge Hotel, Gateshead.

  A Richards advised that, in order to secure a venue, provisional bookings should be made with the

Ravensdean Lodge Hotel, for 2019 and possibly 2020 due to the BS Convention.

This was accepted.

The room would be set out the night before.

A provisional booking had been made for 2019, Sunday 2nd June.

 

Bus Trip/Aviary visit’s 2018.

The date for this would be June 17th June 2018.

Tickets for this were now available @ £15.

The visits were to C.Snell and C.Hickman and The Cross Keys pub for meal and social.

The approx. cost of a 32 seat bus would be £600.

 

Ferryhill Event. 2018.

This event would be held on Thursday 5th July 2018.

Connor Hickman, Thetford Cambridge, would be giving a PowerPoint presentation.

Accommodation had been booked for the speaker. 

                                           Year Book. 2018.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Full page £10, half page £5.

This covered the advertising in the Year Book and on the website.

G.Clark agreed to sell/take advert monies.

All adverts to be paid for before being accepted.

It was agreed to print 175 year books.

All adverts placed needed to be accurately compiled and co-ordinated before being given to G.Clark.

 A Richards advised that the Year Book was almost complete and would just need proof reading.

As had happened previously as many books as possible would be handed out to minimise postage costs.

 

Web-site Report.

 A Richards had previously advised that if it was necessary a volunteer needed to be found, which we did at the AGM and B.Ross offered to assist with this and both worked to get the site updated after the AGM.

 

Facebook.

The facebook site continues to be well supported.

 

Patronage Report.

Patronage applications and receipts were awaited and will be reported on in due course.

 

B.S.Spring Event 2018.

A resume was given of the progress to date.

The arrangements were ongoing and reports/updates would be provided to Council to confirm the changes.

 A Lovack had kindly offered to provide the floor coverings for the Show Hall/Room.

A list of helpers had now been confirmed for the various jobs to be covered. (25 members)

 A Richards asked for Council approval to donate £250 from the Social Fund towards providing meal/snacks/drinks for the nominated helpers. This was agreed.

The B.S. had been asked to make a contribution towards this and we would be advised in due course.

The N.B.S would hold a raffle during the event for fund raising.

Members were asked to assist in contacting as many sponsors as possible.

Smaller numbers of quality prizes were preferred.

There would be a Show at the event as well as fanciers trade stands for bird sales.

Members were asked to support the sales by bringing birds for sale.

Members from outside the N.B.S. would also be asked to bring sales birds.

Monies received from sales would go direct to the fanciers.

The N.B.S would be awarding five trophies for the show, as well as rosettes.

The next B.S. /N.B.S.  Meeting would be 7th April 2018.

 

A O B.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            1.  A.Richards advised that the large wooden “budgie” from C.Bowman, was auctioned prior to the start of the A.G.M. and had brought £43. To the funds. These funds would be used towards prizes for the open Day.

 2. A proposal letter on how the auditors would like to see the balance sheet compiled was circulated by P.Watts/J.Smith.

All present agreed to the notations.

A.Richards advised Council that in the light of the recent claim associated with towing the trailer/s, an offer to store the staging at the Bowburn Community Centre had been received.

The cost would need to be confirmed but would be approx. £35 per year only.

After discussion it was agreed that the views of the local societies would be sought and the matter put on the agenda at the next meeting.

 

NEXT COUNCIL MEETING MONDAY 19th March 2018.

 NBS COUNCIL MEETING 19th MARCH 2018.

Present:  A.Richards, R.Cooke, C.Wright, D.Cairns, K.Featherstone, J.Smith, R.Rogerson, K.Kime, B.Close         

                  

Apologies. G.Clark, B.Batey, P.Watts, A.Lovack, B.Ross.

                  

Previous Minutes:                                                                                                                                                                                                             These had been circulated and were accepted as a true record.                                                                                      (Accepted as read.)

 

Matters arising from minutes

No matters arising not covered by the Agenda.

 

Correspondence.  

1.   G.Findlay declining meeting invitation.

2.   S & I. Ainley declining meeting invitation

 

Publicity Report.  

Everything was up to date as far as possible.

 

Speakers for 2019.

After discussion it was agreed that we should include meetings for which birds could be included.

(April and October meetings)

Trophies would be awarded for these events.

This meant that we only needed to find 6 speakers to complete the list.

A list of names was compiled, from which the Secretary would invite speakers.

Scott and Ian Ainley and Grant Findlay had declined the invitations to attend a meeting.

C.Bowman and N.Phillips were suggested for the Nominations meeting, January, 2019.

It was agreed that a judges training day would be held in April.

 

Open Show 2018.

The date for the Show was confirmed as Sunday 16th September 2018.

J.Cosby was confirmed as Show Secretary.

Discussion took place on the schedule for progress and for forwarding to J.Cosby.

Judges engaged for the Open Show were;

R.Ellis, D.Pringle, S.Adams (Ireland), G.Wilson.

It was still to be confirmed what award Garden Feathers would be donating for the show.

 

Sp and Rare Show 2018.

The date for the Show was confirmed as Sunday 8th July 2018.

B.Close advised that the schedules were ready for distribution in April.

There would be no Best in Show Award in 2018.

The £10 Country Wide seed /voucher would be presented to the fancier benching the most number of birds.

The judges would be R.Simpson and J.Cooke.

 

Secretaries Report:

New Members.

1.   C.Shanks, Sunderland, full member.

2.   E.Shanks, Sunderland, junior member.

These members were accepted.

 

Finance:

R.Cooke reported;

                                                                                                                                                                           

 Flex. Account.        2495.50.

Social Fund.             3205.21.

 Classic Account.      157.19.

 Cash in hand.           153.62.

  TOTAL.                £ 6011.52.

                                                                                                                                                                                           Accounts accepted.

 

OPEN DAY 2018.   (3rd 2018 June)

 

Invitations had been sent to A.Marchant and F.Blocke and both had accepted.   

Arrangements/accommodation as necessary had been booked.                                                                                    

After discussion it was agreed that the venue would be the Ravensdean Lodge Hotel, Gateshead.

This was accepted.

The room would be set out the night before.

 Bookings for accommodation had been made at a reduced rate.

 

Bus Trip/Aviary visit’s 2018.

The date for this would be June 17th June 2018.

Tickets for this were now available @ £15.

The visits were to C.Snell and C.Hickman.

The approx. cost of a 32 seat bus would be £600.

 

Ferryhill Event. 2018.

This event would be held on Thursday 5th July 2018.

Connor Hickman, Thetford Cambridge, would be giving a PowerPoint presentation.

Accommodation had been booked for the speaker.  

                                                                                                          Year Book. 2018.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Full page £10, half page £5.

This covered the advertising in the Year Book and on the website.

G.Clark agreed to sell/take advert monies.

All adverts to be paid for before being accepted.

It was agreed to print 175 year books.

The Year Books were available for distribution during March, April and May.

Thereafter remaining copies would be posted out.

Web-site Report.

The site had been fully updated; any further information sent would be updated by B.Ross.

As the licence would expire in June, after discussion, it was agreed to renew for a period of one year. (£75)

Facebook.

K.Kime advised that everything was ok, but that he had to watch for people selling birds.

These items would be deleted.

Patronage Report.

Patronage applications and receipts were awaited and will be fully reported on in due course.

B.S.Spring Event 2018.

A resume was given of the progress to date.

The arrangements were ongoing and reports/updates would be provided to Council to confirm the changes.

A.Richards asked for Council approval to donate £250 from the Social Fund towards providing a meal/snacks/drink for the nominated helpers. This was agreed.

The B.S. had been asked to make a contribution towards this and we would be advised in due course.

The N.B.S would hold a raffle during the event for fund raising.

Members were asked to assist in contacting as many sponsors as possible.

There would be a Show at the event as well as fanciers trade stands for bird sales.

Members were asked to support the sales by donating birds for sale.

Members from outside the N.B.S. would also be asked to have sales birds.

Monies received from sales would go direct to the fanciers.

The N.B.S would be awarding five trophies for the show, as well as rosettes.

The next B.S. /N.B.S.  Meeting would be April 2018.

Members were asked to attend from lunchtime on the Friday to help set out the staging etc.

Those members offering to help at the show were asked to attend from 8am on the Saturday morning.

J.Smith asked that the Show Certificates be made available for pre-writing.

Trailers / staging.

Previous discussions had taken place with reference to whether we should accept an offer to store the staging at Bowburn Community Centre.

Local Societies had been asked for feedback, with the consensus being to accept the offer.

After further discussion it was agreed that, as the trailers would no longer be required, they should be offered for sale.

C.Wright and K.Kime to co-ordinate the sale.

Arrangements were to be made to transfer the staging to Bowburn Community Centre.

The staging would be covered on the Community Centre Insurance whilst being stored.

We would need to check whether our own Insurance would be necessary whilst being used at any show.

A.O.B.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         1.  R.Cooke – stating that G.Turner had asked if his name was in the 2018 Year Book.

 

NEXT COUNCIL MEETING MONDAY 16th April 2018.

 

 

NBS COUNCIL MEETING 16th APRIL 2018.

Present:  A.Richards, R.Cooke, C.Wright, D.Cairns, K.Featherstone, J.Smith, R.Rogerson, P. Watts,                     

Apologies. G.Clark, B.Batey, K.Kime, A.Lovack, B.Ross, B.Close,      

Previous Minutes:                                                                                                                                                                                                             These had been circulated and were accepted as a true record

 Matters arising from minutes

No matters arising not covered by the Agenda.

Correspondence.  

1. H.Hockaday re attending meeting.

2. P.McHale re attending the B.S. Scotch Corner event.

3. Libby Harrison re attending Open meeting.

4. G.Findlay re proposed new licensing laws.

 Publicity Report.  

Everything was up to date as far as possible.

Speakers for 2019.

After discussion it was agreed that we should include meetings for which birds could be included.

(April and October meetings)

Trophies would be awarded for these events.

This meant that we only needed to find 6 speakers to complete the list.

A list of names was compiled, from which the Secretary would invite speakers.

Scott and Ian Ainley and Grant Findlay had declined the invitations to attend a meeting.

C.Bowman and N.Phillips were suggested for the Nominations meeting, January, 2019.

Open Show 2018.

The date for the Show was confirmed as Sunday 16th September 2018.

J.Cosby was confirmed as Show Secretary.

Discussion took place on the schedule for progress and for forwarding to J.Cosby.

Judges engaged for the Open Show were;

R.Ellis, D.Pringle, S.Adams (Ireland), G.Wilson.

It was still to be confirmed what award Garden Feathers would be donating for the show.

Sp and Rare Show 2018.

The date for the Show was confirmed as Sunday 8th July 2018.

B.Close advised that the schedules were ready for distribution in April.

There would be no Best in Show Award in 2018.

The £10 Country Wide seed /voucher would be presented to the fancier benching the most number of birds.

The judges would be R.Simpson and J.Cooke.

Secretaries Report:

New Members.

1.   A.Turney, Bedlington.

Accepted as a full member.

Finance:

R.Cooke reported;                                                                                                                                              

 Flex. Account.        2718.50.

Social Fund.             3003.21.

 Classic Account.      

 Cash in hand.               0.85

  TOTAL.                £ 5722.56.

 

OPEN DAY 2018.   (3rd 2018 June)

Invitations had been sent to A.Marchant and F.Blocke and both had accepted.   

Arrangements/accommodation as necessary had been booked.                                                                                    

The venue would be the Ravensdean Lodge Hotel, Gateshead.

This was accepted.

The room would be set out the night before.

 Bookings for accommodation had been made at a reduced rate.

A.Richards asked that consideration be given to allocating money from the Social Fund to purchase raffle prizes.

After discussion it was agreed to allocate approx £120 to purchase 3 or 4 main prizes.                                                                   Only 21 tickets (£10) had been sold so far. Everyone was asked to make a special effort to sell more tickets.

Members wishing to donate prizes could still do so.

Bus Trip/Aviary visit’s 2018.

The date for this would be June 17th June 2018.

Tickets for this were now available @ £15.

The visits were to C.Snell and C.Hickman.

The approx. cost of a 32 seat bus would be £600.

To date 20 tickets had been sold.

Ferryhill Event. 2018.

This event would be held on Thursday 5th July 2018.

Connor Hickman, Thetford Cambridge, would be giving a power-point presentation.

Accommodation had been booked for the speaker.  

Web-site Report.

The site had been fully updated; any further information sent would be updated by B.Ross & Adrian Richards

As the licence would expire in June, after discussion, it was agreed to renew for a period of one year. (£65) Paid May 2018

Facebook.

K.Kime advised that everything was ok, but that he had to watch for people selling birds.

These items would be deleted.

Patronage Report.

Patronage applications and receipts were awaited and will be fully reported on in due course.

B.S.Spring Event 2018.

A resume was given of the progress to date.

The arrangements were ongoing and reports/updates would be provided to Council to confirm the changes.

A.Richards asked for Council approval to donate £250 from the Social Fund towards providing a meal/snacks/drink for the nominated helpers. This was agreed.

Since this was agreed the B.S. had agreed to donate half the monies.

The N.B.S would hold a raffle during the event for fund raising.

There would be a Show at the event as well as fanciers trade stands for bird sales.

Members were asked to support the sales by donating birds for sale.

Members from outside the N.B.S. would also be asked to have sales birds.

Monies received from sales would go direct to the fanciers.

The N.B.S would be awarding five trophies for the show, as well as rosettes.

The next B.S. /N.B.S.  Meeting would be April 2018.

Members were asked to attend from lunchtime on the Friday to help set out the staging etc.

Those members offering to help at the show were asked to attend from 8am on the Saturday morning.

J.Smith asked that the Show Certificates be made available for pre-writing.

Trailers / staging.

Previous discussions had taken place with reference to whether we should accept an offer to store the staging at Bowburn Community Centre.

The trailers had now been sold with the Society receiving £580.

Thanks were extended to C.Wright and K.Kime for co-ordinating the sale.

The staging would be covered on the Community Centre Insurance whilst being stored.

We would need to check whether our own Insurance would be necessary whilst being used at any show.

 

A.O.B.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

 

NEXT COUNCIL MEETING MONDAY 18th June 2018.

 

 

                                                    NBS COUNCIL MEETING 18th JUNE 2018.

Present:  A.Richards, C.Wright, D.Cairns, K.Featherstone, D.Rowell, B.Batey, B.Ross.         

                 

Apologies. G.Clark, K.Kime, A.Lovack, P.Watts, B.Close, R.Rogerson, J.Smith.

                 

Previous Minutes:                                                                                                                                                                                                             These had been circulated and were accepted as a true record.                                                                                      (Accepted as read.)

 

Matters arising from minutes

No matters arising not covered by the Agenda.

 

Correspondence. 

1. H.Hockaday accepting re attending meeting.

2. R.Carr accepting re attending meeting.

3. G. Al Nasser accepting re attending meeting.

4. Notification of the death of A.Crow, Cumbria.

5. Thank you correspondence received for the B.S.Spring Event from;

G.Findlay, J.Attwood, J.Lund.

 

Publicity Report. 

Everything was up to date as far as possible.

 

Speakers for 2019.

After discussion it was agreed that we should include meetings for which birds could be included.

(April and October meetings)

Trophies would be awarded for these events.

This meant that we only needed to find 6 speakers to complete the list.

A list of names was compiled, from which the Secretary would invite speakers.

C.     Bowman and N.Phillips for the Nominations meeting, January, 2019.

The list was still to complete by the Secretary.

One further name, Kevin Eatwell, was suggested.

 

Open Show 2018.

The date for the Show was confirmed as Sunday 16th September 2018.

J.Cosby was confirmed as Show Secretary.

Judges engaged for the Open Show were;

R.     Ellis, D.Pringle, S.Adams (Ireland).

G.Wilson had notified that he was now unable to attend and judge. He was replaced by J.Newall.

 Garden Feathers would be donating 5 Young Bird trophies for the show.

There would be free admittance to the show at the door, just pay for your catalogue.

A. Cairns would provide the lunch for the judges and show secretary.

Schedules would be available from the Ferryhill Evening 5th July 2108.

 

Sp and Rare Show 2018.

The date for the Show was confirmed as Sunday 8th July 2018.

Most of the schedules had now been distributed.

Anyone knowing or hearing of a fancier needing a schedule should contact B.Close.

There would be no Best in Show Award in 2018.

The £10 Country Wide seed /voucher would be presented to the fancier benching the most number of birds.

A buffet lunch would be provided for the fanciers working at the show.

D.Rowell offered to provide the bacon butties on the morning.

There would be a charge for any afternoon refreshments. 

The judges would be R.Simpson and J.Cooke.

For 2018 there would be no visitor entrance fee. Catalogues would be £1.50.

A. Cairns would provide the lunch for the judges and show secretary.

 

Secretaries Report:

New Members.

There were no new members.

 

Finance:

R.Cooke reported;

                                                                                                                                                                           

 Flex. Account.  & Social Account     £6026.55. (To be separated when RC Returns to work)         

 Classic Account.      120.07.

 Cash in hand.           299.80.

  TOTAL.                £ 6446.42.

                                                                                                                                                                                           Accounts accepted.

 

OPEN DAY 2018.   (3rd 2018 June)

A.Richards gave a resume of the 2018 Open Day.

This had proved to be very successful, though tickets sales were down.

The Open Day recorded a small loss overall at £83.

 

OPEN DAY 2019. (2nd June 2019)

In order to secure the venue, a provisional booking had been made with the Ravensdene Lodge Hotel.

The following names were suggested as speakers;

D.Lutoff, S.Wildes, G.Lanigan, K.Eatwell, R.Keeber.

 

Bus Trip/Aviary visit’s 2018.

A.Richards gave a resume of the planned visit.

Unfortunately, due to the bus breaking down, the visit could not be completed.

A.Richards was to discuss with the owner how some sort of compensation could be received.

 

Ferryhill Evening.

This event would be held on Thursday 5th July 2018.

Connor Hickman, Thetford Cambridge, would be giving a power-point presentation.

Accommodation had been booked for the speaker. 

                                                                                                          Year Book. 2018.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Full page £10, half page £5.

All Year Books had now been handed/posted to the members.

 

 

Web-site Report.

The site had been fully updated; any further information sent would be updated by B.Ross.

As the licence would expire in June, after discussion, it was agreed to renew for a period of one year. (£65) Paid by A.Richards

 

Facebook.

K.Kime had advised that everything was ok, but that he had to watch for people selling birds.

These items would be deleted.

 

Patronage Report.

Patronage applications and receipts were awaited and will be fully reported on in due course.

 

B.S.Spring Event 2018.

A resume was given of the event.

This had proved to be an excellent weekend and was very well attended.

The N.B.S. had supported the Event with 28 workers employed during the weekend.

The efforts of G.Clark, (and anyone else who sold raffle tickets), were rewarded with a fantastic income of £820 from the Raffle.

 Three other prizes being auctioned made £320; the final total amounted to £1140.

After discussion it was agreed that, £820 from the raffle would be deposited in the main bank account and £320 in the Social fund. Money had already been taken from the social fund for sponsorship and workers lunch over the Saturday show, patronage was £75.28, Special prizes winners £15, food and drink £134.25 which made a total from the social fund of £224.53.

A.Richards also thanked the Sub committee, Dennis Cairns and Peter Watts’s members for their individual efforts in putting suggestions to the BS, working all weekend and helping to make this a successful event. A. Richards also thanked everyone who donated all of the 30 raffle prizes and the 3 Auction prizes as it was these people helped raise funds. Thanks were also given to the 28 members who worked all weekend and special thanks to Colin Wright, Gaile Clark and Ady lovack for going above and beyond in their role helping the NBS.

 

Trailers/ staging.

The trailers had now been sold with the Society receiving £580, into the main account.

Thanks were extended to C.Wright and K.Kime for co-ordinating the sale.

All of the staging was now in storage at Bowburn Community Centre.

We would need to check whether our own Insurance would be necessary whilst being used at any show.

 

A.O.B.    

B.Batey -- asked if the funds received from the November Auction could be ring-fenced for 2019 S&R show.

After discussion it was agreed that there needed to be consideration given as to how we could attract more members/exhibits to the shows, and there should be a plan put in place.

Funding for this would be from the Society Accounts.

A.Richards suggested that, due to the extra income from the Spring Event, we should channel some of this back to the members.

After discussion it was agreed that for the 2018 shows, there would be no admission fees at the door, with the catalogues priced at £1.50.

Raffle prizes for the 2 NBS shows and the Ferryhill event, would be purchased from the Social Funds, total £300.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

 

NEXT COUNCIL MEETING MONDAY 20th August 2018.

·                     NBS COUNCIL MEETING 18th July 2018.

Present:  R.Cooke, C.Wright, D.Cairns, K.Featherstone, D.Rowell, B.Batey, B.Ross, B.Close, R.Rogerson,          

J.Smith K.Kime. P.Watts.

 

Apologies. G.Clark, A.Lovack, A.Richards.

                  

Previous Minutes:                                                                                                                                                                                                             These had been circulated and were accepted as a true record.                                                                                      (Accepted as read.)

 

Matters arising from minutes

No matters arising not covered by the Agenda.

 

Correspondence.  

1. Letter from Bowburn Community Centre re-increase to room/s hire, from September 2018.

 

Publicity Report.  

B.Ross raised his concerns that he felt he was, as Publicity Officer, not being “kept in the loop” over items either needing to be reported on the web-site, or when items/updated information was reported/updated onto the site.

All Council members were asked to communicate with Bruce re any issues that needed reporting.

  

Speakers for 2019.

After discussion it was agreed that we should include meetings for which birds could be included.

(April and October meetings)

Trophies would be awarded for these events.

This meant that we only needed to find 6 speakers to complete the list.

A list of names was compiled, from which the Secretary would invite speakers.

C. Bowman and N.Phillips were suggested for the Nominations meeting, January, 2019.

The list was still to complete by the Secretary.

One further name, Kevin Eatwell, was suggested.

 

Open Show 2018.

The date for the Show was confirmed as Sunday 16th September 2018.

J.Cosby was confirmed as Show Secretary.

Schedules were now available and had been handed out at events/meetings to date.

D.Cairns advised that the cut-off for handing out any more schedules would be the Newcastle and Gateshead Open Show.

A decision therefore needed to be made as to whether all remaining members would be posted a copy.

He had compiled a list of previous exhibitors, most of them had received a schedule.

After some discussion, it was agreed that a further check would be made to make sure that no obvious omissions had been made, and that all new members, joining in 2016 to date, would be sent a schedule.

No other copies would be posted out.

Judges engaged for the Open Show were;

R. Ellis, D.Pringle, S.Adams (Ireland), J.Newall.  Garden Feathers would be donating 5 Young Bird trophies for the show.

There would be free admittance to the show at the door, with catalogues at £1.50.

A. Cairns would provide the lunch for the judges and show secretary.

All members were asked to meet at the Community Centre on the Open Show date at 7.00am, to help erect the staging and prepare for the show.

 

Open Show 2019.

D.Cairns raised the point that, due to the change of date of the Club Show, Dumfries may want to move onto the N.B.S. date, and that we should discuss this with them.

Council members did not accept that this was necessary and that due to the present circumstances at Dumfries, we were unlikely to get any answers.

The Council agreed to hold an Open Show in 2019, the date being Sunday 15th September. (week 37)

B.Batey duly contacted the Community Centre and booked the hall.

B.Close was asked if he was able to be Show Secretary.

This item will be discussed at a further meeting.

 

Sp and Rare Show 2018.

An update was given on the 2018 Sp and Rare Show.

This had once again been a success.

A balance sheet needed to be prepared for the Council to consider, and to assist the Auditors when checking the accounts.

P. Watts thanked everyone who had been involved with the show, particularly B.Close for being Show Secretary.

(Ably assisted by N.Phillips)

 

Sp and Rare Show 2019.

B.Ross advised Council that he was concerned that some members did not want a show.

After discussion Council agreed to hold a show in 2019.

The date would be Sunday 7th July 2019, (week no. 27)

P.Watts asked B.Close if he was prepared to stand as Show Secretary. This he accepted.

B.Close however confirmed that he was not prepared to carry out the Patronage duties as well.

He also could not speak on behalf of N.Phillips.

B.Close confirmed that he now had an updated B.S. computer disc for the show.

B.Batey contacted the Community Centre and booked the hall for the show.

 

Secretaries Report:

New Members.

There were no new members.

 

Finance:

R.Cooke reported;

                                                                                                                                                                           

 Flex. Account.                        5979.55.            

 Classic Account.                       137.64.

 Cash in hand.                            129.25.

 Cash from Sp&R show            352.04

  TOTAL.                                £ 6598.48.

                                                                                                                                                                                           Accounts accepted.

 

OPEN DAY 2019. (2nd June 2019)

In order to secure the venue, a provisional booking had been made with the Ravensdene Lodge Hotel.

The following names were suggested as speakers;

D.Lutoff, S.Wilde, G.Lanigan, K.Eatwell, R.Keeber.

 

Bus Trip/Aviary visit’s 2018.

Unfortunately, due to the bus breaking down, the visit could not be completed.

There was a lot of concern at the suitability of the bus, and the safety of the members.

After discussion, on a proposal from K.Featherstone, seconded by D.Rowell, Council agreed that we DO NOT use this Company again to provide any further buses.

This was agreed.

Further to this, questions were asked as to if any compensation had been recovered from the bus company.

D.Rowell reported that a refund of £300 had been received.

After discussion Council agreed that all monies would be refunded to those members attending the visit.

A list of the members names needs to be made and the monies returned to them.

A balance sheet also needs to be raised to verify all costs/income.

 

Ferryhill Evening.

This had proved to be a very entertaining meeting, though it was not quite as well supported as in previous years.

B.Ross asked Council to re-consider holding this meeting at a future Council meeting.

                Year Book. 2018.                                                                                                                                                            Full page £10, half page £5.

All Year Books had now been handed/posted to the members.

 

Web-site Report.

This item should be read in conjunction with the Publicity report.

 

Facebook.

K.Kime had advised that everything was ok.

The site was still being monitored for any misappropriate items which are being duly deleted.

 

Patronage Report.

There was nothing further to report on Patronages.

 

BS.Spring Event 2018.

This event has now passed and has been fully reported.

 

A.O.B.     

1. J.Smith  --  apologised for not having the points awards table updated.

This would be done as soon as possible.

2. B.Batey  --  advising Council of G.Findlay being poorly. After discussion it was agreed to send him a get well card.

3. D.Rowell  --  stated that he was in receipt of monies from the Chairman, but was finding it difficult to reconcile the figures.

It was necessary therefore that balance sheets be raised for the Scotch Corner event, the Ferryhill evening, the Sp and Rare Show, and the Aviary visit.

4. B.Close  --  asking if the N.B.S. could purchase a more efficient printer for the show secretary to use.

Council agreed to this with B.Close and B.Batey to make further enquiries and report back to Council.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

 

NEXT COUNCIL MEETING MONDAY 15th OCTBER  2018.

 

 

NBS COUNCIL MEETING 15th OCTOBER 2018.

Present:  A.Richards, C.Wright, D.Cairns, K.Featherstone, D.Rowell, B.Ross, K.Kime, J.Smith, P.Watts.

 

Apologies. R.Cooke, G.Clark, B.Batey, R.Rogerson, B.Close.

 

Previous Minutes:                                                                                                                                                                                                             (Accepted as read.)

 

Matters arising from minutes

Various matters, from the minutes were discussed and agreed.

 

Correspondence. 

There was no correspondence.

 

Publicity Report. 

B.Ross gave an update and advised that everything was ok.

 

Speakers for 2019.

After discussion it was agreed that we should include meetings for which birds could be included.

(April and October meetings)

Trophies would be awarded for these events.

This meant that we only needed to find 6 speakers to complete the list.

A list of names was compiled, from which the Secretary would invite speakers.

C.     Bowman and N.Phillips were confirmed for the Nominations meeting, January, 2019.

 

Open Show 2018.

A.    Richards gave a resume of the 2018 Open Show.

It was considered that this had been successful, with everything running smoothly.

It was still of concern that we were unable to see an increase in the number of entries and exhibitors.

However the show is still considered to be an important Social event.

 

Open Show 2019.

 

The Council agreed to hold an Open Show in 2019, the date being Sunday 15th September. (week 37)

B.Batey duly contacted the Community Centre and booked the hall.

B.Close was asked if he was able to be Show Secretary.

This item will be discussed at a further meeting.

A list of judges names was given and D.Cairns who would make the bookings.

A.    Richards  reminded Council that a Show Secretary needed to be confirmed for this show.

 

Sp and Rare Show 2019.

Arrangements were started for the 2019 Sp and Rare Show.

The date would be Sunday 7th July, 2019.

A list of suggested judges names was given and D.Cairns  would make the bookings.

A.Richards reminded Council that a Show Secretary, for this show, needed to be confirmed and that this would be discussed further at the November Council meeting.

 

Secretaries Report:

There was no Finance report due to the absence of the Secretary.

 As there was unlikely to be any change in the Secretaries circumstances, D.Rowell was asked if he would continue as Assistant Secretary, until the A.G.M.

He advised that he would continue until the A.G.M, but that he did not wish to take on the full secretarial role.

This was accepted by the Council.                                                                                                                                                                                    

Balance sheets for the Society events were now in the hands of the Secretary.

A balance sheet for the Sp and Rare show would hopefully be available for the November Council meeting.

D.Rowell confirmed that F.Block had paid his “life membership” at the B.S.Club Show.

This however needed to be discussed at the next Council meeting as the incorrect amount had been received.

 

OPEN DAY 2019. (2nd June 2019)

In order to secure the venue, a provisional booking had been made with the Ravensdene Lodge Hotel.

The following name/s were suggested as speaker/s;

 G.Lanigan, Ireland, would be the speaker.

 

Bus Trip/Aviary visit’s 2018.

Further discussion took place as to whether a bus trip should be held in 2019.

It was agreed that this should go ahead.

Council was asked to obtain costs for the hire of a bus.

It was agreed however, that in the absence of details where the visit would be to, that prices could not be obtained.

A.Richards had however received a quote for a 25 seat capacity bus, which was considered suitable in size for our requirements, at a cost of £600.

After discussion it was agreed to book this bus.

 

 Year Book. 2019.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

K.Featherstone and G.Clark were to be asked if they would continue to take adverts for the Year Book.

 

Web-site Report.

Everything was reported as being ok.

 

Facebook.

A.    Richards advised that he had received a complaint from a non-member, J.Melling, about an article being deleted from the facebook site.

After discussion it could not be confirmed how, or who, had deleted the item.

As the article was likely to be of interest to the members, it would be re-instated on facebook.

 

Patronage Report.

J.Smith gave an update on the Patronages.

It was agreed that we should look at how we could best promote/sponsorship for  the shows.

 

A.O.B. 

 

1. -  D.Rowell stated that he was arranging to go to R.Cookes house to take the secretarial paperwork away.

D.Cairns offerred to assist should any help be needed.                                                                                                         2. - D.Rowell raised the issue of N.B.S. judges nominations for the B.S. Club Show. A.Richards advised that R and J.Rogerson had been nominated for 2020, and D.Cairns for 2021.

3. - D.Cairns advising that the Councils nomination for the Golden Bird award  needed to be discussed, as also were names of any member qualifying for H.L.M.      

After discussion A.Richards advised Council that the Golden Bird nomination should be made at the nominations meeting.

No Council nomination would be taken seperately.

4. - D.Cairns asking that at the Open meetings we should, as agreed by Council, read out any business matters, after the speaker has finished.

This was agreed by Council.        

5. - A.Richards congratulating N.B.S members who were successful at the B.S. Club Show.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             NEXT COUNCIL MEETING MONDAY 19th NOVEMBER 2018.










Text-only version of this page  |  Edit this page  |  Manage website  |  Website design: 2-minute-website.com